Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Creamy Enchilada Bake.

My family is not very adventurous when it comes to food. So growing up I thought enchiladas were sour cream based with big, soft flour tortillas, not chili(of choice)-based with corn tortillas. I love me some spicy enchiladas, anything spicy really... but I have always preferred flour tortillas with anything. I've been craving those gooey, creamy, smooth "creamy enchiladas." The problem is that I can't have flour tortillas :( and I was a bit lazy and not going to participate in the whole rolling up and making them look all pretty. So I layered them all in a pretty baking dish and called it good!

Here's the small recipe (like a 6"x6" round dish):
6-8 white corn tortillas
1 c. water with 2 tbls. hot sauce
1 chicken breast, diced
oil, as needed
salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
1 can cream of chicken chicken soup
3/4 c. sour cream
1 small can green chilies, don't worry about draining them
1 1/2 or so cups of shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 425*. Heat up a sauce pan with a drizzle of oil.  Cut up your chicken into little pieces (I like mine a bit smaller than "bite-sized" since I want more than just chicken in each bite!). Season it with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper if you like spice. While it's cooking mix together your soup, sour cream, and chilies. Then mix your water and hot sauce in a bowl, this is the key to yummy corn tortillas and not ones that absorb all your sauce and turn to glue. Place some of your sauce in the bottom of the pan. Then 2 or 3 tortillas (like a stack, so if you're using a big pan you'll need a bunch of tortillas), dunk them in the water/hot sauce and layer them. Chicken, cheese, sauce,  tortillas, chicken, cheese, tortilla, sauce, cheese! Lots of cheese. I also sprinkled on some more crushed red pepper, and a little cilantro. Then bake for about 20 minutes, until nice and bubbly. 


This is yummy and super gooey. I did 2 tortillas thick and think I'll do 3 or 4 next time for a bit more substance. I didn't even miss the flour tortillas! We had this with potato bugs, since I've been having rice like every meal lately ha. It wasn't very pretty though :/ that's why I didn't even try to take a picture of the  sliced up bake, because it was a nice little puddle of goo. In a good way! I think you could just double up this recipe with plenty of tortillas and do a 9"x13" dish that was thinner, or lots of layers!

No comments:

Post a Comment