Monday, August 13, 2012

Dinosaur Eggs!

This was a WAY fun activity. It was pretty easy and since we made enough for a couple sets at once it was very little prep time for something my little brothers loved... and maybe I enjoyed myself too. I think it would be an awesome activity at a birthday party or something of that nature and I forgot to mention that it's SUPER cheap.

We called this babies "dinosaur eggs" because we hid cute little plastic dinosaurs in them. They do look more like poop than eggs though. ha. You could hide pretty much anything in them (I think plastic stuff would work best because it's not delicate or ruin-able). Yeah, I make up words. 

1 cup coffee grounds, used
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup sand
3/4 cup or so water
the stuff you want to hide (small toys, jewels, etc.)

Mix coffee, flour, salt, and sand. Then add water 1/4 cup at a time until a dough-like consistency. Form a little ball of the dough. Stick your stuff in it, and add more dough and/or form it into a ball so the whole toy is covered. (if you make it too big it won't dry forever). You can either let them sit out for a couple days (2 or 3) or you can put them in your oven on low (150-200* whatever is the lowest on your oven) and bake for 20 minutes or so until dry. 

Then break and enjoy! We used forks and knives to help us break them up. We made 10 or so "eggs" with this much and did it three different times. I think this would be just as fun for girls too, if they're not into dinosaurs and stuff I would think any of the cute party favors like rings and stuff would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment