Monday, August 13, 2012

Smothered Tilapia... or Chicken!

Now, I will preface this by saying I usually make this recipe with chicken and not tilapia. The tilapia was yummy, but I think I prefer this dish with chicken (we didn't have any chicken and a store run was not on the agenda) and to have my fish dishes more fish like, ya know? If that makes sense, ha. So I'd recommend trying this dish with chicken! It is one of my favorite dishes and even though you have to do a few steps they are all super simple and make a phenomenal dish.

2 chicken breasts or tilapia filets
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 onions, sliced pretty small
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. shredded cheese
salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350*. If using chicken breasts, I like to cut them into a bit smaller pieces so they cook faster. Place chicken (or tilapia) into an aluminum foil packet with a little olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Throw it in the oven and bake away. A whole breast will probably take 40-50 minutes to cook through, where 1/2 a breast should take 20-30 minutes, and tilipia will take 10 minutes if defrosted, or 20 minutes if frozen. While the protein of choice is cooking away, start frying up your chopped bacon. I like mine nice and crispy so I cook it until it's crisp. Then remove bacon from pan onto a paper towel (leave the grease in the pan). Throw the onion into the hot pan with the grease and start cooking. I don't cook them all the way caramelized just nice and tender. After about 10 minutes or so, I add in the brown sugar and stir it all good. Once the onions are coated and the brown sugar is dissolved. Layer your protein, onions, sprinkle some cheese, then your bacon. I like mine with rice and broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment