Thursday, August 16, 2012

SOS Mix.

So, I was in a club at Utah State where we were trying to raise awareness about Celiac/gluten-intolerance. One of the ladies at Utah State came in and spoke to us and shared her SOS mix with us. Essentially it's a thickener, but it also is a GREAT substitute for cream of "anything" soup. SOS stands for Soup and Sauce mix! I'll hit you with the recipe here. And I'll link you up to the booklet you can print it out which has the recipe for the mix as well as like a million recipes to use it in, and they're not all casseroles! Check out the ingredients... it's also very inexpensive. You'll probably only have to buy dry milk... unless everyone on earth but me keeps that in the pantry, because I sure don't. ha. It's gluten and fat free. And way healthier than canned cream of chicken soup (which I do LOVE by the way ha, I just can't eat it and am trying to be more healthy.)

2 c. powdered non-fat dry milk 
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. chicken bouillon
2 tbls. onion flakes
2 tsp. Italian seasoning

Mix. Keep in a sealed container or plastic bag. You do NOT need to refrigerate this. It makes about 9 cans worth of soup. 

To make cream of "somthing" soup: Mix 1/3 c. dry mix with 1 1/4 c. water. Microwave or cook on the stove until thickened. Use as you would soup. 

Here's the link to the booklet, I would highly recommend taking a look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment