Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Potato Bugs.

The idea for this came from Pinterest, like a lot of my ideas do. I've been wanting to make them for awhile. They were really yummy! Nothing too spectacular taste-wise, although it is kind of a mash up of a baked potato and home-made french fries. They are super pretty and I think they would make a great presentation to any company you're having over. I also thought of an awesome tip about 1/2 way through cutting them all, but was like ehh.. I'm already most of the way done I'll do it next time. The issue I had was that I'm not very good at being patient with food, crafts, etc. (People I've got all the time in the world, stuff NO!) So I kept accidentally cutting all the way through instead of leaving a nice little connection on the bottom. They still were yummy and cute. BUT if you're going to do this, find 2 things with similar heights (I would use 2 cutting boards) and place the potato between them and slice... the boards will keep you from going to the bottom, genius eh? I also love that you could do any flavor/toppings you want. And they look like potato bugs! And they're potatoes, so cute, yeah?

Here's what ya need:
adapted from SeaSaltWithFood
Potatoes, 1 per person
Olive oil (or butter if that's your thing)
kosher salt
any seasonings you want!

Preheat your oven to 425*. Wash your potatoes. Slice them up real thin, leaving the bottom 1/2 inch or so intact. Layer them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and seasonings. Bake for 40 minutes. We liked ours topped with cheese, bacon, sour cream, ranch, and/or katsup, respectively. Fancy, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment